Written by Mark Hicken Mark Hicken
Category: Latest News Latest News
Published: 17 January 2013 17 January 2013
The 2013 of the annual BC wine law conference is coming up on Monday, February 25th, at the beginning of a week which is otherwise devoted to the Vancouver International Wine Festival. If you are interested in BC wine or liquor law issues, please join us at the conference. Here are just a few of the exciting highlights:
- Update on the current state of the industry including agricultural policy issues.
- A report on the changes to interprovincial shipment of wine including a province by province review of applicable laws and rules.
- Overview of export/import issues including relevant international trade agreements.
- Discussion of the use of alternative business structures such as custom crush operations and urban wineries.
- Regulatory issues affecting the distribution of wine and liquor in BC including a review of the recent privatization in Washington state as well as potential improvements for BC’s system.
- Wide-ranging discussions of various operational issues including labeling, counterfeiting, on site tasting rooms, land management issues, environmental regulations and employment law.
Here is a link for more information, including the conference agenda, location and registration. Those who work in the BC wine industry are eligible for a 50% discount on the conference fee: simply register as a "student" in the online registration process.